"Your path is to be shared...It will be called The Golden Thread Road"
~White Buffalo Calf Woman
****************************************************
PLEASE NOTE: This blog has run its course and is being continued at windbuffalo.blogspot.com. Thank you so much for reading!!

Monday, May 19, 2014

Being Shaman

I had an interesting and profound experience recently and wanted to write it down so I didn't lose its significance in the backwaters of my mind...

In the past few months my day job has moved to a different warehouse.  Fortunately the new place was not far away, and we had experience under our belts from a similar move just a few years ago. But in the place we left, there was this magickal little pond, kitty corner across the street, where I spent many a lunch break in contemplation and healing (for instance in my post The Healing Is Mutual).  So, having made such a connection with the Spirit of this place, I wanted to honor that connection and officially say good-bye, since I didn't know if or when I might be there again.

On one of my last days at the old warehouse, I grabbed my bag of tobacco, that I always keep in my glove box for just such an occasion, and headed to the pond, where I sat in the green, springtime grass, cross-legged with my tobacco-offering on my lap.  I closed my eyes and connected with the Spirit of the Land.  In so doing, I let go of everything and felt my consciousness slide down between the atoms and molecules of everything around me.

Whoa! When spiritual teachers and/or quantum physicists talk about our oneness with everything, I have the experience to know it is not just figurative or metaphorical, because I've been there! There are no words to describe this.  None.

And as I basked there in the ecstasy of this sea of being, something came to me. Being a Shaman really is about Being a Shaman.  It is in the Being -- true, aware being -- that the power is.  In simply Being is recognized the oneness (or perhaps more correctly, non-duality) of the Universe, where-in lies the Honoring of the Spirits that surround us and are part of us.  And it is in this connection, without doing a thing, that the Shaman is able to heal.  Being and Honoring.  Acting may come from or be inspired by that, but those are the two necessary ingredients, without which actions are hollow and unproductive.

I opened my eyes just enough to take a pinch of tobacco and sprinkle it on the earth, repeating again to make an offering for all four directions, as well as for the Spirits of the Upper World, the Lower World, and all the compassionate Spirits who flowed around me where I sat in the Middle World.  It seemed a pittance compared to the gratitude swelling in my heart for this experience.
 
There are no words for the way I felt as I walked back to work after that. None. 


2 comments:

  1. " I closed my eyes and connected with the Spirit of the Land. In so doing, I let go of everything and felt my consciousness slide down between the atoms and molecules of everything around me. "

    For there being no words for this, I think these are quite wonderful for capturing a glimpse. I know this feeling you speak of, this experience of connectedness and oneness that can come from what seems like a simple act of going out to Be Present with the Spirit of a Place, or expressing one's gratitude and appreciation in simple ways. Thanks for sharing, Patrick.

    ReplyDelete