"Your path is to be shared...It will be called The Golden Thread Road"
~White Buffalo Calf Woman
****************************************************
PLEASE NOTE: This blog has run its course and is being continued at windbuffalo.blogspot.com. Thank you so much for reading!!

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Pent Up

So, I went to the movies last week and, as I always do, I looked forward to the previews before the main feature. But as the screen lit up with the first one, my heart sank and all I could think was, "Oh no. Not again. Are we really still going there?!"


It was another one of those movies. Really?! Seriously?! But yes. There it was. Filling the entire screen. A 3-story tall inverted pentagram. Are we really still stoking those flames of fear and misrepresentation? Really?! Seriously?!


As you can tell, I can get a bit passionate about this, the misrepresentation of a religious symbol, a symbol of my religion, and the ensuing fear and conflict that results. What it boils down to is ignorance, as well as a concept I've learned from some AA friends -- Contempt Prior to Investigation. So the challenge, then, is one of knowledge and information, something I can perhaps, in small measure, help remedy here.


Okay. Pentagram 101 -- For Pagan religions and Witch Craft, the pentagram is a pretty universal symbol, the pentagram being a 5 pointed star, always pointing upwards, drawn within a circle. The actual meanings vary, but the most common I've found, and the way I see it, is each point represents one of the elements, Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Spirit. The circle that encloses the 5 is the unity and oneness of the elements (and in that way is synonymous with the top point representing Spirit). I also picture the pentagram representing a person, ala Leonardo Da Vinci, the top point being the head and the other points the corresponding arms and legs.


In both these examples, the idea is "Spirit Ascending." It is the seeking of ever higher truth. It is about wholeness, balance, and oneness.


And probably the most important point is that the upright pentagram of Paganism has nothing to do with the inverted pentagram of Satanism. Nothing! Paganism is a stand alone religion, which includes no (count them -- zero!) devils, and existed long before Christianity. Satanism is a direct reactionary opposition movement to the concepts of the Church. They are not the same thing!


It is sometimes hard for me to remember, because of where I live and the company I keep, that these false-hoods are still around. Thus the culture-shock for me when something like this appears. But I also believe things are changing and more people are learning tolerance, if not outright curiosity, about ways they don't understand.


As a personal example, one of the greatest compliments I've ever received was from a coworker. When he asked what I was doing for the weekend, I decided not to do the usual avoidance techniques and to tell him the truth. "I'm going to a psychic fair." He stopped and I could see him processing this, a slight look of concern on his face. He asked a question or two and I went on to explain some things, and somewhere along the line I believe I actually made the statement, "...some of my best friends are witches." "You're serious." "Uh huh." And as it sank in, he kind of shook his head and chuckled, saying something along the lines of, "I'd be afraid to mess with anything like that myself, but I know you. You're a very good person. So obviously these things must be alright too." For once someone was judging my interests and belief systems by who I am, not judging me by what they believed about what I am into.


So please, if you don't understand something about some one's beliefs or ways of life, rather than falling into assumptions, here say, or making things up, the better healthier road for everyone is to ask. In fact it is time to examine all assumptions, all the things we take for granted, all the things we've been taught about other people. I truly believe that people are basically good and I have found from experience that when you give them the benefit of the doubt, you will find that attitude rewarded. When you look for that Divine spark that unites us all, you can find it in everybody.

And remember --




...Yes. Yes, you probably do.







Poem and Banner copyright Silverhawthorn. Used by permission.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this Patrick. It'll be so wonderful when the day comes that tolerance coupled with education/knowledge comes to the fore instead of ignorance and fear (in all areas). It is getting better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post.

    "In fact it is time to examine all assumptions, all the things we take for granted, all the things we've been taught about other people."

    So very true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great post! And yes, I do know a couple of witches! Many in fact! :)

    ReplyDelete