"Your path is to be shared...It will be called The Golden Thread Road"
~White Buffalo Calf Woman
****************************************************
PLEASE NOTE: This blog has run its course and is being continued at windbuffalo.blogspot.com. Thank you so much for reading!!

Thursday, October 27, 2011

How Weird Is That?

One of my favorite Star Trek quotes (...Yes. I am a geek and I do have more than one favorite Star Trek quote... ) happens when Captain Janeway is walking with a crew member through the decks of Voyager. The crew member is talking about how weird their latest adventure was, and Janeway replies, "We're Starfleet. Weird is just part of the job!"
 
At my second Sandra Ingerman workshop in so many months (which I will talk about in more detail in other posts) I heard a few different people on a few different occasions specifically mention the word 'weird,' in reference to what family and others called them, or how they felt, usually with a negative conotation. But all I could think of was the above quote and how, when you're walking off the beaten path, things are going to naturally get a little strange. To me it's a sign post that I'm going the right way.  You can't walk a magickal and/or shamanic path and expect to be normal. If things were 'normal' where is the adventure and the wonder?

Besides that, there is the etymological root the word comes from -- "wyrd" -- which ties into the Fates (particularly the Norse version called the Norns and specifically the Norn who was named "Urd"), often referred to as the Wyrd Sisters whose most famous incarnation is as the three witches at the beginning of Macbe... --The Scottish Play

So, fittingly, 'weird' is a word brimming with magick, and prophesy, and other such shamanic things, and I tend to wear it as a badge of honor. So if you are on a shamanic path, and things start getting... interesting... just remember -- "You're a shaman. Weird is just part of the job."




(Second favorite quote: "Sir! I protest! I am not a merry man!")

1 comment: