"Your path is to be shared...It will be called The Golden Thread Road"
~White Buffalo Calf Woman
****************************************************
PLEASE NOTE: This blog has run its course and is being continued at windbuffalo.blogspot.com. Thank you so much for reading!!

Thursday, July 12, 2012

In Hind Sight

So, I love when little pieces of a puzzle suddenly come together in that glorious 'AHA!' moment, especially when they have to do with my personal mythology, when some little detail I hadn't noticed before creates a parcel of brand new bridges, connecting things that hadn't been before, or forging a stronger connection and deeper significance to a connection that already existed.  It truly is the little things in life that bring me such joy!  Okay.  Let me explain...

The other night I watched the movie Immortals which is about the Greek hero Theseus, the one who killed the Minotaur.  Part of the story line revolves around the 'Epirus Bow' which is this magical bow that, as one begins to draw back the bowstring, an arrow of light flickers into existence on the bow. How awesome would that be?!  Anyway, being not only an archery geek but a cartoonist as well, I've been working on a series of comic stories where my characters act out various myths and tales, from a cavalcade of cultures, that involve archery.  If the Epirus Bow were really an authentic part of Greek Mythology I wanted to know as a possible addition to my comics.

As it turns out, it was total fiction and doesn't exist outside the movie.  However, the closest thing in Greek Mythology was Hercules' Bow, which was used to end the Trojan War.  Hmmm!  That sounded promising, and, as a bit of synchronicity, I had just started re-watching the Hercules television series, starring Kevin Sorbo, again from the beginning.  So I clicked on the link for Hercules' Bow, but never quite got that far because something else captured my attention. 

As I scanned the page for his bow, my gaze fell upon descriptions of the twelve labors of Hercules (or Heracles as the Greeks called him).  After his first two labors (impossible feats he was given to atone for killing his children in a fit of madness induced by Hera) where he proved he could kill the most unbeatable foes (the Nemean Lion and the nine-headed Lernaean Hydra) Herc was given the task of capturing alive the Golden Hind, who could run faster than an arrow.

The thing about the Golden Hind, and the reason this distracted me from my original 'labor', is that she was a sacred animal of Artemis, my Matron Goddess.  I had almost forgotten about the Hind (D'oh! A deer! A female deer!) so I was eager to read about this myth. 

They had done a version of the story on the aforementioned show, and it's one of my favorite episodes, not only because of the romance and love that blooms between Hercules and the hind (who in the show could transform into a human woman) but because it is also how Hercules actor, Kevin Sorbo, met his soon to be wife, who played the hind in the show. Doesn't get much more romantic than that! :)

Bearing almost no resemblance to the modern version, the original myth, in a nutshell, has Hercules capturing the hind, then on the way back to prove his labor fulfilled, he encounters Artemis.  He begs her forgiveness, explaining his penance, and promising he will return the deer. Under those conditions She lets him return to King Eurystheus, who was the one setting these tasks for Hercules. When the deer is brought before the king, however, Hercules was informed that the hind would become part of His Majesty's menagerie.  Hercules told the king he had to come get her himself. As Eurystheus approached, Herc released the hind who in a fleet-footed flash returned to her divine Mistress.  Hercules left telling the king he just hadn't been quick enough.

I liked the tale itself, but as I read some background to the myth it got really good.  As it turns out, one of the significant oddities of the Golden Hind is her golden antlers.  This is where I do the whole 'forehead-slap-thing' and cry, "Duh!"  There is only one kind of deer in the whole world whose doe population has antlers -- REINDEER!  The Golden Hind of Artemis was probably a reindeer!

My beloved Artemis, with a magic bow of her own, not unlike the one that began this hunt, that hangs in the night sky every month, was "all of a sudden" tied to my number one power animal and helping spirit, Nathaniel -- my beloved fuzz-nose of a reindeer.

Suddenly new threads existed between elements of my personal mythology that had previously been unconnected.  And with the new threads came an elation that was probably the emotional counterpart of the new lightning-bridge neural pathways arcing through my brain.

I love this stuff!!  I thrive on bridging seemingly unrelated things and finding connections in everything.  Now to see if I can just bring Artemis within six degrees of Kevin Bacon...

1 comment:

  1. You would have been such an awesome teacher for my son. I had to look the word cavalcade up. How rich a pilgrimage you could teach; watching movies, tracking through history and culture and writing/drawing personal mythology. Perhaps you could use a travel partner who arranges trips to these places of study;)
    I wanted to share a dream coincidence. Last night I dreamed I had these flying shoes. Unlike Perseus, my shoes were like a helicopter and it was an animal’s tail that propelled me. I ended up at this old large house I have been visiting in my dreams that I call the house of super heroes. I saw you pass and go into a room, so I waited to talk to you. When you walked out, just in front and to the side of you was a deer lying on its side. It wasn't dead, more like sleeping.
    The reindeer connection and Artemis is very COOL. I imagine a society that teaches mythos in schools this way Patrick. I imagine the teaching of personal mythology and soul mapping to be like a gentle excited wind that blows religions into fearlessly allowing freedom for each individual to create thier own bridges to helping guides and spirits that so want the doors to be opened and the gardens to flourish within.

    As Within, So Without
    Patty

    ReplyDelete