"Your path is to be shared...It will be called The Golden Thread Road"
~White Buffalo Calf Woman
****************************************************
PLEASE NOTE: This blog has run its course and is being continued at windbuffalo.blogspot.com. Thank you so much for reading!!

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Reindeer Games

Over Thanksgiving I got to go back to visit my family in Minnesota. I only had a couple of days, so it was a shorter than normal stay, and because of that I decided to spend it just with my family rather than trying to hook up with friends who still live there.

It is an old long-held family tradition that the Friday after Thanksgiving is the day to get the Christmas tree. It was nice to be able to take part in this since we didn't get to observe the other old long-held family tradition -- that the day before Thanksgiving is the day to go see Santa Claus at Dayton's department store (I think they were bought out by Macy's) in St Paul. They always have a theme, like Mary Poppins, Willy Wonka, Winnie-the-Pooh, and set up animatronics to tell the story as you walk through this labyrinthine path on the way to see Santa.

So anyway, we were heading out across a blustery snow-covered field toward the trees, and my brother had brought along sleds to pull his youngest and a young cousin on. At one point I took the rope that tied the sleds together and just started sprinting across the field, with them laughing gleefully in tow. Not that this is something I wouldn't have done anyway, but when I was done I thought to myself, "Where did that come from?" I mean I had just been champing at the bit to get a hold of the rope since my brother first brought it out.


I shrugged it off and went to help my parents cut their tree, saying prayers to the spirit of the tree, thanking it for giving up its life in the woods and giving it an image of the joy it would bring my family when all lit up in their livingroom. I got the feeling that, since this was a Christmas tree farm, the trees having been planted with that intention and purpose in mind, as well as picking up the thoughts and feelings of countless people through the years trodging through their woodland home, had some idea of what they were in for, and were happy to be a part of this celebration.
Once the tree came down, and my parents had walked away a little bit, I gave an offering to the spirit of the tree and the spirits of the place, again thanking them for their gift. Tobacco is the normal offering of choice, but not having any with me for the trip, I followed what a friend had told me her teacher had taught her -- If you have nothing else to give, leave a bit of your hair. So I left a bit of hair tucked into the stump, with a bit of excitement at the thought of becoming part of some bird's nest.

As my parents sorted out the extra branches and boughs that my mom would turn into a wreath, I walked off toward where my brother's family were scouting out trees. I was walking along this little ridge when, out of the corner of my third eye I saw movement through the snow down below. Images of Nathaniel, my reindeer power animal flashed through my mind and I realized he was running through the snow, kicking up his hooves, and bellowing for all he was worth. Someone was happy to be playing in the snow and the cold! I couldn't help smiling, thinking of how excited he must be to trade rainy ole Seatle for the chance to dig his hooves and antlers into snow again.

"Ah!" I thought. That explains the sled pulling. Nathaniel has come through before when I've been dancing, but this was a little different, and I got the distinct feeling that it was under his influence that pulling the sleds looked so appealing!

I found my brother and, after more prayers, and more hair offerings to his fallen tree, I headed back to where my parent's tree was still lying in the snow. I thought, "Alright Nathaniel. Here we go!" And I picked up the bottom of the tree and dragged it, back across the tundra of the fields, to where the cars were. Apparently I surprized my dad who thought it would take at least two of us to move the hefty tree.

Actually it did take two of us... :)

2 comments:

  1. The way that place you spoke of did their Santa event sounds like so much fun! Much better than the typical boring lines people stand about in!

    I love that you gave offerings and thanks for the trees your family were cutting. This year I just felt it in my heart it was time to get a live tree and to keep the tree for as many years as we could and still keep it happy. My husband had been feeling the same way and so it was a go. I get so bonded to trees this will be a wonderful experience to get to know our new tree friend over the years.
    i had never thought about my spirit animal companions coming out through me but now that you told this story (a great one btw!) I have some possible explanations to a few events over the years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the feedback Maurie! I'm excited about your new tree friend, and I would LOVE to hear some stories about how your spirit animals play through your life!

    ReplyDelete