"Your path is to be shared...It will be called The Golden Thread Road"
~White Buffalo Calf Woman
****************************************************
PLEASE NOTE: This blog has run its course and is being continued at windbuffalo.blogspot.com. Thank you so much for reading!!

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Snow White Moment #146

My ex-wife used to call me "Snow White." Now were I a 'normal' guy, this would probably have been taken as an insult, but it is actually one of the nicest compliments I've ever received -- obviously, since I'm still talking about it. :)

Part of it was from my fair skin and dark hair, but the main reason was because children and animals tend to be very attracted to me. I still, standing in line at the grocery store or in similar circumstances, tend to be the center of attention for any baby or youngster in line ahead of me, and I have lost count of how many times I've heard the sentence, "Wow! He/she never acts that way -- especially around men!" when someone else's dog or cat is instantly friendly with me.

As long as I remember it has always been that way. I have always loved animals, and vice-versa. That is part of the reason Tarzan was the greatest hero of my childhood and why St. Francis is, to this day, still my favorite saint. One time, when I was a kid, and to my mother's dismay, a pigeon followed me home, perched on our garage roof and refused to leave for quite some time. When I was in Boy Scouts I learned how to pet bumble bees. In high school I was taking classes at the Minnesota Zoo, and one of the gibbons (Archie) started recognizing me and would come swinging to the closest tree branch and follow me around whenever I came near his enclosure (Even now, 15 years or so since I volunteered at The Cougar Mountain Zoo in Issaquah, one of the cougars there still recognizes me and will come right up and follow me as I walk around his enclosure). It was instances like these that my ex and I came to refer to as "Snow White Moments" -- And which make it not surprising I became an Animal Communicator.

Other Snow White Moments include the time I spent a couple hours in a park petting a wild goose who singled me out and followed me everywhere, refusing to leave me alone.

More recently, at an SCA equestrian event, I was helping set up. Before I'd gotten there they had already put up a pavilion in the pasture, and there were a couple of guys struggling to keep the curious horses away from the tent. I walk up, stand in front of the guys, and instantly all the horses walk up to me. I start talking softly to them, and petting their soft noses, and when one would start trying to move toward the pavilion, I'd just lean into him and nudge him in another direction, still speaking to him softly. The two guys just stood there with their mouths open. Later at dinner someone asked how long I'd been working with horses, and I have to admit being pretty pleased by the shocked expressions when I answered, "Oh, I don't. Well, I volunteered for a number of Saturdays at a horse ranch when I was in high school, but that was 20 some years ago."

And on two separate occasions in the past year I have had personal encounters with wild moles, once where I got to pet one, and once where one surfaced under my bare foot while I sat beneath a tree.

So those are just a few of what have come to be pretty run-of-the-mill occurrences for me, but that brings us to this past weekend and my latest Snow White Moment, which was particularly magickal. I was spending the weekend at a friend's cabin in the woods, and I had decided to take a nap in her hammock. I was lying on my side, head resting on my arm, facing downward. I was enjoying dozing in the sun when I suddenly heard a thrumming sound and I opened my eyes to find a humming bird hovering mere inches away from my face, staring at me, eye to eye, through the hammock webbing. The moment seemed to last quite a while before the little guy took a final pass around me to check me out, and then buzzed off. I laughed and was grinning from ear to ear! The fact that these moments are relatively common place for me does not seem to change how magickal the experiences still are.



Picture drawn by me and my ex. I drew my face and arms and she drew the dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment