"Your path is to be shared...It will be called The Golden Thread Road"
~White Buffalo Calf Woman
****************************************************
PLEASE NOTE: This blog has run its course and is being continued at windbuffalo.blogspot.com. Thank you so much for reading!!

Saturday, May 11, 2013

A Horse of a Different Color

Recently a friend told me about a friend of hers who had just bought a filly who was only a day or two old. She asked me to 'check in' with the foal to see how she was doing because no one was sure if she was actually going to live very long.  So on my afternoon break I tuned in to this baby horse to see what her story was, and the story she told me was totally unexpected.

The very first thing I felt from her was that she hadn't made up her mind whether she was staying or not. This totally synced with what my friend, and her friend, were picking up from the filly. Phew!  As long, and as much as I do this kind of work, I always appreciate the little validating feedback I receive just to corroborate that I'm on the right track. Of course this was not all there was to the story...

As I continued to connect with her, this foal deepened her background by sending me pictures of her former life -- another incarnation as a horse, only a horse from millions of years ago.  She at one time had been an Eohippus ("Dawn Horse") or similar horse ancestor, which was very much smaller in stature -- Eohippus, or Hyracotherium as it's been reclassified, stood only 10-20 inches at the shoulder.

She 'told' me that this life had been originally intended as a brief nostalgic trip.  She really just wanted to smell the air again and feel the earth beneath her, and not from much higher than her former form, before leaving again.  Still she was indecisive because she was intrigued, and a little intimidated, by the power and size of her descendants she was now among, and she was considering sticking around to experience what that would be like.

Holy crap! Not what I expected!

What I didn't know until after this exchange was that this filly was the daughter of a pair of draft horses and was big, 200 pounds, when she was born. Apparently, because of her size she was unable to unfold her legs or get much movement in the womb, so when she was born, her front legs were still bent up and she'd been unable to straighten them.  When I heard this a chill ran up my spine.  What better way to keep your view close to the ground than to be born under circumstances that kept your legs bent up?

On a side note, another trait of this particular foal is that she is a "Medicine Hat Horse."  A Medicine Hat horse is primarily white with a colored patch covering its ears and the top of its head, and through Native American lore these horses are said to be very special with magickal abilities.  If she does decide to stay, I am eager to see what kind of magick might follow her around.

Last night I found out that one of her legs had straightened out, so my friend's friend had braced the other one, enabling the young equine to take her first steps.  I could almost hear her saying to herself, "Okay. Let's see what this baby can do!"

So we'll see what she decides, to stay or to go.  Personally I hope she sticks around, at least long enough for me to meet her in the flesh.  But even if she doesn't, I am so grateful for this encounter and the insights it's afforded me.  Thank you little one, and my best wishes for you for greener pastures on whatever plane you decide to roam.


2 comments:

  1. Hello Patrick! Unfortunately, Clara decided that she was ready to move on, but she touched all of our lives and changed us all in positive ways. She truly was an inspiration, and I'm blessed to have had the opportunity to be her human mama for at least the few weeks she had here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the update, Gryph. I'm sad I won't get to meet her in this life. But I believe there are no accidents - and so I believe she knew what she was doing when she chose you as her human mama. :)

    ReplyDelete