"Your path is to be shared...It will be called The Golden Thread Road"
~White Buffalo Calf Woman
****************************************************
PLEASE NOTE: This blog has run its course and is being continued at windbuffalo.blogspot.com. Thank you so much for reading!!

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Benefits of Woo-Hooity

Not that this is a huge, earth-shattering, reality-shifting revelation or anything (and the more I learn, the more I discover that the truest things are the subtle, obvious, convenient ones --without huge fireworks or light shows) but I have begun to see the effects of "woo-hooity" in my everyday life.

Woo-hooity, believe it or not, happens mostly at my day-job, and actually that's where it can do the most good. "What is 'woo-hooity?'" I hear you asking yourself. Well let me tell you...

I am sitting at my desk, a pile of orders in front of me needing to be pulled as well as a number of odd tasks I've been asked to do from various people seeing as I've been there for 10 years and know the most about what's going on, and my supervisor walks up and gives me a 4 page will call order to pull, saying the customer will be here in 5 minutes. What is my reaction? "Woo-hoo!"

At first it was a joke, whenever something new was given to me, particularly the more daunting jobs, I would let out with a "Woo-hoo!" and everyone would kind of laugh and we'd go about our business. As I continued, though, I started realizing that this odd little thing was actually raising my energy as well as putting things into perspective. I'm only here for 8 hours, and it doesn't matter what I do in those 8 hours. Though I strive to do my best at whatever I'm assigned, I keep myself detached from the outcome. If they have me thread 500 parts together, and then ask my to unthread those same 500 parts, what does it matter? What happens with those 500 parts has no bearing on my well-being. I am not what I do.

It's kind of like the little 'woo-hoo' at the beginning of any task helps put me in that frame of mind, that it's just something to do and when my 8 hours are up, I go home. And I am finding it makes me feel a heck of a lot better than when my stomach sinks each time another job gets laid on top my stack.

My supervisor has even come to expect it, and when he hands me a new order to pull, if I don't woo-hoo, he's rather disappointed. The thing is, though, that the other day he realized I was woo-hooing every thing, and told me the woo-hoos weren't as significant because there was no distinction between what I was woo-hooing -- big, small, difficult or easy. ...Exactly!!

Woo-hoo!!!

1 comment: