"Your path is to be shared...It will be called The Golden Thread Road"
~White Buffalo Calf Woman
****************************************************
PLEASE NOTE: This blog has run its course and is being continued at windbuffalo.blogspot.com. Thank you so much for reading!!

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Pushing The River, Grasping Water

Taoism is called "The Watercourse Way," and fittingly a lot of Taoist imagery is water related. It's all about going with the flow, being like water. Likewise, some of the principles of how 'not to be' are also water related. "Pushing the River" refers to trying to make things happen, contriving to make things work out a certain way, or trying to get ahead of yourself and arrive somewhere before it's time or before you're ready, when in actuality the river is flowing just fine, and the way it's suppose to. Life has a flow that can be trusted. You are always in the right place at the right time.








The other principle more pertinent and something I've been thinking about recently, is the idea of "Grasping Water" -- basically that you can't. If you try to grasp water, snatch it in your fist, you will find yourself empty-handed. The only way to hold water is to open your hands and allow it to fill that space. You have to be in a state of reception, openness.








The reason I was thinking about this is that it relates to prayers, something I've had a lot of lately. The thing that a lot of people don't think about, though, is the full cycle of prayer. Praying, asking, is only part of the process. You also have to be alert and ready to receive the answer to the prayer.








For instance, a few years back Bianca, my pick-up truck, was totalled. She was only my second vehicle ever, and she was a gift from my parents, having been a work truck for my dad's electrical contractor business. So I had never had to buy a vehicle on my own before and it freaked me out! So I prayed and prayed and asked my girlfriend of the time for help. She had me considering getting a Subaru because her family had done very well with them, so one Saturday we headed down to go to some car lots, making the Subaru dealer our first stop. The sales rep was really nice, not pushy, and was kind of a hoot as he took us around the lot to show us stuff in my price range (fortunately I'd gotten a good settlement from the accident). As we walked along I spied a car that didn't seem to fit with the others. Apparently it was a recent trade-in. Something in me dinged, and I made a bee-line for it. I swear when I sat in it the whole interior suddenly lit up and the angels began to sing. I got such a rush of energy!








Just to make sure, though, we continued to look, but my mind kept returning to the little green CRV and the feeling I got when I sat in her. Long story short, she was the first (and really the only) car I looked at that day, and she was the one I drove home. When the sales rep drove it up to the door for me after the ceremonial last look over by the mechanics, he opened the door and, very loudly, "Here Comes The Sun" was playing on the radio.








Now my folks weren't too pleased about my choice, preferring I had gotten another pick-up, but, as I explained to my mom -- when you pray for something you have to accept and receive it when you find it. Those feelings I had in the driver seat of Cassiopeia, my green CRV, were undeniable. This was my car.











And I encountered similar circumstances when Cassie got totalled and I bought Suzaku, my current red CRV (for a while it was like everytime I began a new relationship, my old car would be totalled and I'd have to get a new one).

comic I drew at beginning of my last relationship. Fortunately my car survived this one.


As I said, I have a number of other prayers out there at the moment, and the strange thing is that they seem to be getting answered, but in slow motion. The one in particular, that I won't spell out in order to maintain the sacred space within which it is manifesting, is appearing to fall perfectly into line with my request. Yet it is such a situation that I can not just reach out and grab it in order to make it real. It's kind of like a plant that must mature before you can harvest it. Believe me, I've wanted to grab for it, grasp for it, hurry the river along to get it to completion, but fortunately had the brakes, ever so slightly, applied to me before I chased it away by my needy, greedy, grasping. I've discovered I need to open my hands in order to catch it, to allow it to flow into and through my life. It's a process, not an object or a single event.

Maybe next time I'll pray for a Delorean...

No comments:

Post a Comment