"Your path is to be shared...It will be called The Golden Thread Road"
~White Buffalo Calf Woman
****************************************************
PLEASE NOTE: This blog has run its course and is being continued at windbuffalo.blogspot.com. Thank you so much for reading!!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Mom... Dad... I'm Fae

If you've been reading my blog for awhile, you might recognize this entry as a reprint of an earlier post, but it seemed only right to post again the story of my "real" birth on my birthday. Enjoy!

Note: This entry became a lot longer and more involved than I had originally planned. In fact I was considering breaking it into two posts. It is, again, a story from my personal mythology, in fact MY story from my personal mythology, and how I came to be. If you would like the story only, you may skip ahead to the blue section. Otherwise you will get the whole DVD-special-features-behind-the-scenes-making-of documentary. Either way, thank you for reading. :)

Since I can remember, I felt like I didn't belong with my family. Even people on the outside would ask how I ended up with them. It never occurred to me that I really might not belong with them until a seed thought was planted in my mind.

At school one day, I don't remember what grade I was in, another student's dad saw me and said, incidentally, "Corrigan. That's another name for the little people." The full importance of that statement, and the hidden meaning of my last name, didn't hit me at first, but the seed began to grow over many years.

As I outgrew my childhood beliefs and structures, and my world developed and expanded beyond the accepted boundaries of my up-bringing, and my family, these fish-out-of-water feelings only increased, and most of the time, even in my own mind, it was me who was, at best, weird, at worst, wrong.

But as my world grew and began to include ever expanding possibilities of various dimensions and parallel worlds, inevitably I became introduced to the realm of Faerie. Granted it started slowly with "wouldn't it be cool if...", fueled by images of the Cottingly Fairies and the like, but it has blossomed into, not only a full-on belief, but a complete knowingness of the existence of the Wee Folk. Actually to the point of missing the little blue sparkly flashes of light, seen out of the corner of my eye, when my apartment faeries are being, perhaps, a little too quiet.

Even from the beginnings of my forays into Faery, that statement of my last name being ‘another word for the little people’ never left me. So you can just imagine my delight at the point where I discovered a dictionary of the faery folk, and verified the truth of that statement. Perhaps ‘delight’ is not the proper word. More of an Oh-my-god-and-holy-crap-it's-true-dumb-founded recognition of another cosmic puzzle piece falling into place . Yes. Quite delightful.

I believe it was at that point that the seed began to germinate, and a story began to form in the back of my mind as to my true origins. I had read about 'star children' and the different indicators, most of which I fit, that would suggest you were an alien born into a human body. Yet that didn't quite sit right with me. I felt too connected to the earth to be from somewhere else. But, were I changeling, a faery baby switched at birth with a human baby, that just felt so much more plausible!

None of my research into Corrigans, or Korrigans, contradicted my story, but rather fueled my excited imagination. The Corrigan originate mostly from Brittany, and are the type that appear as human women, who sit by pools of water, alone or sometimes in groups up to nine, combing their long hair in the moonlight. During the day, though, they take on the appearance of old hags. They are also shape-shifters, able to change into any creature they want.

Now I hadn't meant to recount the whole story here, just give bits and pieces and highlights as I had them figured out. However, when I began writing, things just started to flow and, before I knew it, I had what follows. With all of that in mind, this is the story as I've reconstructed it so far... (*Ahem!*)


Once upon a time, there was a magickal pool, and around this pool sat nine sisters. At least they sat around the pool at night, combing their long, glorious hair that shimmered in the moonlight, because that was when they appeared beautiful and young. During the day they stayed out of sight for in the sunlight they had the appearance of old, wrinkled crones. This was slightly offset by their ability to change into any creature they desired.

One of the sisters, My'riad, wishing to be alone one day, assumed her favorite shape, that of a unicorn, and wandered out into the sun dappled forest. So lost in the beauty of the woods was she that, not until the snapping of a twig brought her back to the present, did she realize she was not alone.

In a single instant, she saw the arrow pointed at her, saw it loosed from it's string, saw a hand strike the bow, and watched the arrow whistle harmlessly into the under brush beside where she stood. Without thought she fled, disappearing into the trees, but, as is the habit of most curious wild creatures, she circled back around to investigate what had, just moments ago, threatened her very life. What she saw was two men, one of whom was red in the face from screaming at the other man, "Bastard! You cost me a unicorn! I could have been set up for life! How dare you interfere with my shot! If I see you again you will pay with your life!" And the man stomped, very noisily, off into the woods.

The other man stood silently for a moment, watching where the first man had gone, then without turning his head, he said quietly, "You're not a real unicorn are you." The only answer was a gasp as the faery woman's, currently fuzzy, chin dropped and her eyes widened in shock. Who was this man who not only sensed her presence, but that she wasn't who she appeared to be? He turned toward her, reaching out an inviting hand and an even more inviting smile. Darkness had begun to fall so she allowed herself to slip back into her human form -- her beautiful, young human form -- and slip her hand softly into his. There was a rush of energy as they touched and, beneath the splendor of the rising moon, they kissed for the first time.

They kissed many more times that night, among other things I can not mention without having to tag this blog as unsuitable for minors, and as the first rays of the sun began to break across the horizon, he whispered softly in her ear, "I know who you are, and I release you." Her mind reeled as she was overcome at this, for this is the only way a Corrigan may become, and remain, young and beautiful -- A human man who loves her enough to allow her to be who she is. A joy she had not known washed over her, coupled with the certain knowledge that a miracle had been conceived within her.

My'riad returned with him to his cottage in the woods where they lived happily together for some time, and her belly continued to swell. One evening, though, her husband did not return from his hunt. Her concern grew and she set out in search of him, again taking the unicorn's shape, as four legs could carry her more swiftly than two. Oh! If only she had had six, perhaps she would have arrived in time! As it was she happened upon the scene to see her lover freshly fallen to the earth, an arrow protruding from his chest.

The anguish that issued from her throat was unearthly, and some say it froze her beloved's slayer in his tracks, even as he attempted to flee. Literally froze his heart in his chest. His life ended by she who would have earlier been his prey, for he was the previously mentioned man making good his threat against her husband. Then shifting instantly back to human form she cradled her love's head in her hands, caressing his hair with her fingers and bathing his face with her tears. One last kiss on his cold lips was all she could bear and she had to go. Just get away, as far and as fast as her four legs would carry her!

In another part of the forest, a hunter heard a creature crashing through the forest and moved to intercept it, to see what manner of beast could make such an ungodly wailing, and to put this beast out of its misery. And so it happened that for the second time, My'riad came face to face with a nocked arrow intended to take her life.

"Please, my Lady, do with me what you will, but pray do not harm my babe!" A soft growl rose from My'riad's throat.

With this a smile flickered at the corner of the hunter's mouth and she slowly lowered her bow. "You're not a real unicorn are you."

"No my Lady," My'riad replied with a bow as she shimmered back to her true form, at which time her pregnancy became blatantly clear.

"Fear not precious one. You and your babe are safe now, for you are under my protection."

My'riad, having pushed herself to her already emotionally strained limits, nearly passed out, but her tears turned from grief to relief for she knew that the Huntress Goddess before her was also the Goddess of Childbirth. And so, whether because she was Fae, or because the Goddess of Midwives personally delivered her baby, she had the easiest of labors and was soon holding a beautiful boy child to her breast.

"I know this one," Artemis whispered, gathering the supple deer hide back around a tiny wiggling leg that had escaped the bundle, held by the new mother. "And so do you," She added, looking My'riad in the eye. My'riad balked, then began to cry, for in her babe she recognized the essence of her slain husband.

"And this one," continued the Goddess, wrinkling Her nose and winking at the child, "remembers me, don't you my little wolf?" The baby laughed and waved his arms. "How would you know my son, M'Lady?" "He lived a lifetime, long ago, as one of my children in a forest far from here. A place called Sherwood. And before that he spent time as one of my beloved beasts, the wildest, yet gentlest of creatures -- whose form, by no accident, is one that you know well." She smiled again as She traced a spiral, ever so gently, upon My'riad's forehead.

"Now, Daughter, there is some unfortunate business to attend to." My'riad's heart sank into her stomach. Hadn't she been through enough? "Because your child's blood is partly mortal, he can not be raised among the Fair Folk. His path leads into 'Man's World', where he will be challenged, true, but he will thrive, I promise you. He will bring to human minds and hearts a joy and whimsy born of his faery blood, and a hope they can not understand, yet will they be drawn to it like moths to the flame."

"And fear not for I will watch over him, instilling his heart with a love of the wild and a taste of the Faery Realm, that he may find his way back to his origins. And find his way back he will, for he is now my adopted son. He will be able to track and read the signs."

"What signs?" Demanded My'riad, "I will not give up my only son, even to you, without reason!"

"Calm yourself Daughter. I know of a family whose heritage is very spiritual, overflowing with holy men and women, through the monasteries and churches of Eire..." "Catholics?!" My'riad interrupted, showing her disdain by almost gagging on the word. Artemis continued unfazed, "And their surname is 'Corrigan'. He will gain enough experience and knowledge in his youth to maintain a solid footing in mystical matters, enabling him to make the leap from religion to spirituality. His name will be his first clue as to his true origin, and he will spend his life endeavoring to find that truth."

The Goddess of the Wild smiled pridefully as only a god, who knows of things to be, could.

"Oh yes. He will return."


No comments:

Post a Comment